Tuesday 30 April 2019

Best Friends

Best Friends Watercolor
"Best Friends" watercolor commission.
The Reference Photo
The original photo sent to me by the client seen here on the left is a good shot taken in the dog's own environment. It's low to the ground and the horizon is roughly about a 
third of the way up the photo. 
Overall the photo made a good composition but, I felt it could be improved by limiting the background and cropping.


Rule of Thirds
I left the same amount of space on each side of the subjects and the same amount of space top and bottom. This created a composition based on the "rule of thirds" with both subjects in ideal positions.
I think the success of the painting owes a lot to this composition.








Challenges
The representation of the stony shoreline, the white and fawn color of the bigger dog and as often happens with photos I was unsure if the smaller dog's left flank was covered with a jacket or not.
I decided that the best way to represent the shoreline was with a splatter of masking fluid applied with a piece of wire spring which I recovered from an old lock mechanism.
I decided that the main shore colors were Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ocher with the darker shadows in Burnt Umber. Splattered with my trusty wire spring.


A light watered down application of Payne's Grey dulled down the features of the faces. The bigger dog's coat is a mix of Yellow Ocher and Burnt Sienna. The smaller dog's coat is Burnt Umber.
             I decided that the smaller dog's flank was just highlighted and uncovered.
The sky was painted with Cerulean Blue with tissues to lift out the clouds.
              I painted two birds in the background to give perspective and finally I used a pin prick of acrylic white to put the sparkle in the bigger dog's eye.
The Finished Painting left.

#gerrysgallery #dogs #bestfriends #dundalk #art #drawing 

No comments:

Post a Comment